Holidaying or moving abroad

Are you incapacitated for work? Want to go on holiday or move abroad? Notify your health insurance company's medical officer at least three weeks in advance

Why report your holidays?

Always inform your health insurance fund when you go on holiday. For some countries, you need explicit permission from the health insurance fund's medical officer. For other countries, it is sufficient to report your holiday three weeks before departure.

  • European Union (including Belgium), Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland or Norway: it is sufficient to report your holiday to the health insurance fund’s medical officer at least three weeks before departure. This obligation is also applicable to holidays in Belgium.
  • Other destinations: you need express permission from the medical officer before departure. To obtain permission in time, apply no later than three weeks before your departure. 

It is also important to indicate your holiday due to the planning of medical assessments. Is an assessment scheduled and have you notified us of your holiday in time? Then we may invite you for a assessment before you depart. That way, you won't miss an unexpected assessment and you can retain your benefit entitlement. 

  • Are you leaving on holiday in the first year of incapacity for work and is your incapacity-for-work recognition period due to expire during your holiday? If so, be sure to indicate the extension before you leave on holiday. This is the only way to ensure that your benefits can continue to be paid.

How to make a notification about a holiday?

Contact the medical officer of our health insurance fund

Notify or seek permission from the medical officer via My Helan. Be sure to do so three weeks before your departure. 

You do not have to ask your employer for permission, but you must inform them. This only applies if you are medically permitted to leave the house. Obviously, if you are not allowed to leave the house on doctor's orders, you will not be permitted to go on holiday either.

Did you notify or get permission to go on holiday? Does your incapacity for work certificate run until after your holiday? If so, everything is in order and you can set off with peace of mind. Happy holidays!

What should you do when moving abroad?

Are you moving to live abroad? Notify your health insurance fund at least three weeks in advance. This can be done using the contact form.

The rules and procedures for getting incapacity-for-work benefits differ depending on which country you live in. We look at each situation individually, and will provide an answer to your specific question.

Track and manage your benefit file on My Helan

  • initiating your benefit file
  • track your benefit payments
  • add documents to your benefit file digitally
  • request holidays, return to work, voluntary work
  • and so much more!

Tracking on My Helan

Helan Independent Health Insurance Fund is the insurance agent (n° CDZ 5006c) for ‘MLOZ Insurance’, the VMOB of Independent Health Insurance Funds, (Register of Legal Entities in Brussels, 422.189.629, recognised under no. CDZ 750/01 for branches 2 and 18). View the data sheet and the General Terms and Conditions. Belgian law applies to the insurance contract. The term of the contract is whole life. In the event of any complaint, contact the complaints department of Helan Health Insurance Fund or the insurance ombudsman. For more information about purchasing this/these product(s), please contact Helan Health Insurance Fund. Helan Onafhankelijk ziekenfonds, Boomsesteenweg 5, 2610 Wilrijk, 0411.696.011, RPR Antwerpen,