When you are incapacitated for work

Are you incapacitated for work for less than one year? We refer to this as ‘primary incapacity for work’. If you are incapacitated for work for over one year, you receive invalidity status and will receive invalidity benefits. Do you want to go on holiday, work part-time, do voluntary work or take a training course? Be sure to check your rights and obligations.

Primary incapacity for work and invalidity

During the first year of incapacity for work, you will receive the primary incapacity benefit. From the second year onwards, you will be granted 'invalidity status' and will receive an invalidity benefit. Invalidity is a term used to designate 'long-term incapacity for work' and has nothing to do with an impairment or disability.

Extensions and relapse

Anextension is when you have been off work longer than the end date shown on your incapacity-for-work certificate. When you return to work, but become incapacitated for work again, this is referred to as a relapse. See what you need to do to arrange an extension or manage your relapse.

Learn more about the extension and relapse

Medical assessment

If you are receiving incapacity benefits, you may be contacted for a medical assessment. In this kind of medical assessment, the health insurance fund’s medical officer monitors your incapacity for work. You cannot refuse a medical assessment.  

More about the medical assessment

Doing volunteer work

Do you want to do unpaid work or volunteer work when you are incapacitated for work? If so, make a request to do so from the health insurance fund's medical officer in good time.

More about volunteering

Partial return to work

Are you incapacitated for work but want to resume work on a part-time basis? You can! Find out what you need to arrange.

More about partial resumption of work

Taking a training course

Are you no longer able to practice your current profession due to your illness or injury? Then you might be interested in retraining during your incapacity for work. Find out about the possibilities. 

Read more about taking a training course

Going on holiday

Do you want to go on holiday when you are incapacitated for work? You can! However, do not forget to notify the medical officer of your health insurance fund in time.

Read more about holidaying

Holiday certificate

Are you employed or unemployed and have received a holiday certificate? The health insurance fund may not pay replacement income for an outstanding balance of holidays. That is why we need you to provide us with your completed holiday certificate.

Read more about the holiday certificate

Tax return

Both primary incapacity benefit and invalidity benefit payments are a replacement income. You have to declare these in your annual tax return.

Read more about your tax return

Fixed sum for third-party assistance

Are you incapacitated for work and need help from others? Then you may be entitled to the additional benefit for 'third-party assistance'. This is an fixed sum in addition to your standard benefit.

<Read more about third-party assistance

Date of benefit payment

Are you employed, unemployed or self-employed? Enter your employment status below to see when your benefit will be paid. Please note that this calendar is only applicable after you have received your first benefit payment. The date of payment also differs depending on whether you have been incapacitated for work less than or more than one year. 

View the calendar to track when we will transfer your replacement income to your bank. It may take a few days for the amount to reach your account, depending on your bank. As soon as we transfer the payment, you will receive an email notification. The time at which you receive this email may vary for each payment. Indicate in your profile on My Helan whether or not you want to receive a notification via email.

Please indicate your circumstances

  • Are you newly unable to work and waiting for your first benefit? The payment date of your first benefit may differ from this calendar.
  • Are you a wage earner with an agreement part-time? Then you will receive your benefit after we receive the monthly statement from your employer.
  • Are you on a debt mediation or wage attachment file? Then you will receive your benefit once a month, on the second payday at the end of the month.
  • Payment
  • Catch up premium
  • Additional bank closing day
  • Closing day

  • Wage earners with an agreement part-time will receive their benefit upon receipt of the monthly statement from their employer.
  • Payment
  • Catch up premium
  • Additional bank closing day
  • Closing day

  • Are you newly unable to work and waiting for your first benefit? Its payment date may differ from this calendar.
  • Payment
  • Catch up premium
  • Additional bank closing day
  • Closing day

  • Payment
  • Catch up premium
  • Additional bank closing day
  • Closing day

Read more about 'incapacity for work'

Would you like to know more about your rights and obligations when you first become incapacitated for work? Or what to be aware of when you return to work? We would be happy to help you.

Track and manage your benefit file on My Helan

  • initiating your benefit file
  • track your benefit payments
  • add documents to your benefit file digitally
  • request holidays, return to work, voluntary work
  • and so much more!

Tracking on My Helan

Helan Independent Health Insurance Fund is the insurance agent (n° CDZ 5006c) for ‘MLOZ Insurance’, the VMOB of Independent Health Insurance Funds, (Register of Legal Entities in Brussels, 422.189.629, recognised under no. CDZ 750/01 for branches 2 and 18). View the data sheet and the General Terms and Conditions. Belgian law applies to the insurance contract. The term of the contract is whole life. In the event of any complaint, contact the complaints department of Helan Health Insurance Fund or the insurance ombudsman. For more information about purchasing this/these product(s), please contact Helan Health Insurance Fund. Helan Onafhankelijk ziekenfonds, Boomsesteenweg 5, 2610 Wilrijk, 0411.696.011, RPR Antwerpen, www.helan.be.